Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW Xtreme Categories

To: "'Zack Widup'" <w9sz.zack@gmail.com>, "CQ Contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW Xtreme Categories
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 16:38:14 -0400
I don't speak for the ARRL DXAC, but I believe the relevant DXCC rule is:

9. All stations must be contacted from the same DXCC entity. The location of
any station shall be defined as the location of the transmitter. For the
purposes of this award, remote operating points must be located within the
same DXCC entity as the transmitter and receiver.

The last sentence makes it clear that the op, transmitter and receiver(s)
must be located in the same DXCC entity. My interpretation is that DXCC
credit would not be allowed for contacts with or by Xtreme category stations
utilizing remote receivers that are located in entities different from the
entity in which the transmitter is located.

Personally, I don't think the CQ Xtreme category will significantly impact
participation in contests by award hunters. Even if Xtreme categories don't
count for DXCC, there will be plenty of "traditional" stations to provide
credit for DXCC entities, CQ zones, WAS, IOTAs, counties, etc. Some people
are making the assumption that contesters will flock to the Xtreme category,
forever destroying traditional contesting. I doubt that very much. For
example, while use of CW Skimmer is probably growing slowly among
Unlimited/Assisted and Multi stations, I haven't seen a wholesale movement
of Single Op stations to the technology that spawned so much fear last year.
There are still a lot of contesters who enjoy the tremendous challenge of
building better stations and improving operating skills to overcome the
vicissitudes of propagation. In other words, "a boy and his radio"
contesting is still alive and well.

BTW, it's not clear to me whether DXAC intended to rule out remote operation
completely. Rule 9 alone wouldn't prohibit setting up a station in W1 and
operating it for DXCC credit from W9 (the Black Hole) via the Internet.
However, Rule 6 could be interpreted as forbidding remote operation of any
kind:

6. All contacts must be made with amateur stations working in the authorized
amateur bands or with other stations licensed or authorized to work
amateurs. Contacts made through "repeater" devices or any other power relay
methods (other than satellites for Satellite DXCC) are invalid for DXCC
credit.

If it is deemed that the Internet operates as a "repeater" in the W1/W9
case, then remote operation wouldn't be allowed for DXCC. Perhaps someone
from HQ or DXAC would like to comment.

Note that both CQ and ARRL allow remote operation for contests, even if the
op and station are located in different countries. However, the
long-standing station location rule applies. The ARRL version of this rule
is that all transmitters, receivers and antennas must be located in a 500m
diameter circle, or within the property boundaries of the station owner,
whichever is larger (there's an exception for packet.) This means remote
receivers are not allowed in contests, except in the CQ Xtreme category.

73, Dick WC1M

Receiving

http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221322979x1201367215/aol?redir=http
: