Re: [CQ-Contest] Techniques of Ye Olden Days

To: CQ-Contest <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Techniques of Ye Olden Days
From: doug smith <dougw9wi@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 17:57:46 -0500
On 8/30/09, Joe <nss@mwt.net> wrote:
> I really never had any problem with dupe sheets.  i hear soo many
> complain about them I made my own and was a simple aplha numeric grid,
> the number and the letter after thenumber, not any slower than a
> computer version,

I would suggest that the best operators of the 1970s would have
trouble keeping dupe sheets without a computer today.

The thing is, the number of prefixes, especially for U.S. stations,
has skyrocketed.  I recall dealing with W, K, WA, WB, WD, and N
prefixes, and just beginning to have to find a way to deal with AA.
All Canadians were still VE -- no VA prefixes. (except the occasional
special-event station)  DX stations already had a fair number of
"weird" prefixes, but not nearly as many as we see today.

About that time -- when KA prefixes (later to include KB..KJ), and the
full range of 2x1 and 2x2 calls came along -- that's about the same
time computer logging got started.  I wonder to what degree prefix
proliferation actually pushed the adoption of computer logging?

==
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN  EM66
http://www.w9wi.com