[CQ-Contest] Did I cheat in NAQP CW?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Did I cheat in NAQP CW?
From: Art Boyars <artboyars@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 10:54:50 -0500
 #1 is sort-of serious.  #2 is in the angels-on-the-head-of-a-pin
category. #3 is mostly tongue sort-of in cheek.

 1.  If it's OK to use "call history" files, is it OK to look up states in
the (on-line) callbook.  Why should one list of historical data be OK, and
the other not?  (I did NOT look up anybody's state or name in the 'Test.)

2.  I worked a guy whose state I know.  And he did indeed send that state
(to me AND to the guy who beat me out on the first call).  When I worked him
on the second band, I knew his state would be a mult.  When I typed in his
call the logging software filled in the report for me, but did not indicate
it was a new mult.  Hmmm?  Oh!  It says "MD"  I must have entered his state
as MD the first time.  I guess I was listening to my report being sent while
I typed in his report, and unconsciously typed in my own state.  No
problem.  I rolled back in the log and fixed his state in the first QSO, and
continued working the 'Test.

Now, my own opinion is that anything I fix DURING the contest is OK -- but I
had been considering errors that I recognized right away.  In this case, I
would not have noticed the error except for the fill-in feature of the
logging software.

3.  Late in the 'Test I made a desperate jump to 40M (which was already
pretty dead by the time I started the 'Test).  I heard somebody tuning up,
and a well-know station in GA called CQ NA.  I listened for a moment, and
heard him get no answers.  So I called him by name, and said "You are vy
loud but nobody is here.  GL"

Did I make him multi-op?  (He did keep calling CQ.)  Should we never give
ANY info that might help the other guy, including "VY LOUD" or (as my buddy
N6XI once said to me) "P**S WEAK".  BTW, I reserve the right to tell N3AM he
is very loud.  I think that from the top of his tower John can see my
antenna ...if he looks down.

73, Art K3KU