Re: [CQ-Contest] Aniother rules/remote RX issue

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Aniother rules/remote RX issue
From: "Edward Sawyer" <SawyerEd@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 17:33:20 -0400
The rules in CQ WW state as "call sign alerting assistance of any kind" and
"remote receivers" are not allowed.

The rules of ARRL DX state as "use of spotting assistance or automated,
multi-channel decoders" are not allowed.

Specifically, in CQ WW, I believe you would have to consider the RBN a form
of a remote receiver and since ANY use of a remote receiver would look to be
not allowed, I would interpret as not allowed.

In ARRL DX, I believe the "multi-channel" decoder use (public or private)
would be a local skimmer or public RBN.    Again, for this reason, I would
say, not allowed.

More interesting would be the use of looking up spots of yourself,
especially in Phone contests.  No use of remote receiver or decoder and no
call sign alerting assistance (unless you consider your own call sign a call
sign alert). That one seems to be squarely in the seams of the rules to me.

The contest organizers should really keep updating the rules to clarify such
questions as technology is evolving.  It would help all of us "play fair"
and all play off of the same play book.

Ed  N1UR