Re: [CQ-Contest] down the path with Dave

To: "Pete Smith N4ZR" <n4zr@contesting.com>, "CQ Contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] down the path with Dave
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 13:05:49 -0500
Tom, I think maybe you misunderstood where I'm coming from.  Unlike Joe,
W4TV, I believe that using Skimmer is just like using a cluster, only
more powerful.  I have never argued for Skimmer use *not* putting
someone in the assisted category.

I think it is more powerful too, especially when the skimmer is good and local. The problem is having the skimmer hear as well as a receiver and the main ears.

I was simply trying to refute
Charly's argument that it takes all the skill out of operating.

Well, it does remove some of the skill requirements. It can be like a second spotting op.

One of the interesting things about CW Skimmer is that it is cumulative.
For a single op, that means that you can mute the Skimmer SDR while
you're transmitting, and it will pick up with spotting as soon as you
stop.  I see this happen all the time here - Skimmer will spot a station
or two as soon as I am not transmitting any longer.

I'm a performance perfectionist, so I think it should decode all the time. Plus some people have two transmitters running without gaps. Besides, who ever stops sending to listen?? :-)