Re: [CQ-Contest] Automation = lost essential skills

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Automation = lost essential skills
From: "Edward Sawyer" <SawyerEd@Earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 14:34:40 -0500
I worked 7O2A for an all time new one in CQWW SSB.  Almost fell out of my
chair, but then challenged him on the zone 37 and said "you are in ZONE 37?"
and he of course said "yes, zone 37".  Seeing that it was indeed next door
to zone 21, I logged zone 37.

When I get called by a casual and he/she gives me what clearly sounds like
the wrong exchange (zone 1 from an EU station for example) or a serial
number of 14 from an EU station in WPX or something, I always challenge it
by saying "Zone 1?" or "Serial number 14?".  90% of the time, they change it
once they realize.  However, if they don't I log what is sent in a serial
number contest or power contest or age contest but in CQWW I would change it
to default in non USA cases (never know where we are - right Randy?) or
where clearly it could be right (like zone 18 from a zone 19 Russian or zone
23 from a zone 24 Chinese etc).

73

Ed  N1UR

Still need 7O on CW.I can't believe I was out of the country on business as
100,000 7O Qs were made last year.ouch!