Re: [CQ-Contest] High Rate Dual Radio CQing

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] High Rate Dual Radio CQing
From: Eric NO3M <no3m@no3m.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2015 13:53:51 -0500
I'm not disputing Steve's observation on how many operators use dueling CQ, but to run dueling CQs without expecting at least a steady stream of stations to work on both radios seems to be a waste of the second radio, when it could probably yield a higher rate doing efficient S/P a-la "classic SO2R" style.

As far as I know, current software implementations are not conducive to the concept of actually running both sides, and using two (2) PCs with lockouts is more effective in such a case, even though there is more physical movement. I haven't run N1MM in a couple years after switching the shack PC to Linux, but from what I remember, once a QSO is started on one radio, the focus stays there until the QSO is complete and resumes dueling CQs. If there is a station to work on the other radio, you can toggle back and forth with an extra keypress. Anything extra is inefficient.

When I submitted patches to N4OGW to add dueling CQ to his 'so2sdr' logger, a different approach was taken. During dueling CQ, entry focus is automatically opposite the transmitting radio, just like N1MM, et.al., however, when a QSO is started on one side, the logger drops into "Toggling ESM" mode. Every subsequent <enter> keypress toggles transmit between radios. Function (Fx) message keys are no longer on-demand, rather they become queued for the next <enter> keypress. This allows for a clean, normal ESM flow between radios, no extraneous keypresses needed, and with the function key queuing, one can perform fills or fill requests easily. If more time is needed on one side, an empty message can be "sent" on that radio to force a dummy toggle while still maintaining pace on the other. Despite even these optimizations to the operation of dueling CQs / simultaneous runs, two (2) PCs may still be more effective when there are decent pileups, unless things are flowing perfectly, then one can just keep pressing enter until their finger falls off. (ESM ops, check out USB footpetals, ie. XKeys... map switch to <enter> key and use foot instead or in combo).

At any rate, dual runs can be exhausting and tricky. The CQing operator has to maintain cadence, control, etc. N6MJ, et.al., demonstrate a wonderful mastery.

73 Eric NO3M