Re: [CQ-Contest] ....youth in contesting

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ....youth in contesting
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2016 21:10:26 -0700

I really don't think technology per se is the issue here. It's the appeal of competition. There are all sorts of extremely popular activities that involve competition that have nothing to do with technology. Barbeque is competitive now. Herding with dogs is competitive. Quilting is competitive. Bird watching is competitive. The list is endless, and most have nothing to do with technology. Technology may have been an early draw for hams and contesting, but that isn't the case anymore and it doesn't need to be. Chess is fascinating even without a computer because it pits one move immediately against another with quick feedback regarding the impact.

I've tried to come up with an idea for a ham radio contest where a player could somehow prevent another player from getting credit for a QSO. Not by QRM'ing him, of course, but by some real time action that would negate his score for that contact. Or maybe where one player could augment the score of a teammate by working the same station within a certain period of time. I use these for illustration only, the idea being to compete directly and immediately against other players. Hopefully somebody smarter than I can come up with some good ideas, but my point is that it's exactly this sort of thing that radiosport lacks compered with the other things with which it competes for attention. Immediacy and action/counteraction. Not technology.

With that I'm going to bow out of this thread. I wanted to make the point but have no interest in flogging it.

73,
Dave   AB7E