Re: [CQ-Contest] ....youth in contesting

To: Steve vk3meg <vk3meg@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ....youth in contesting
From: vk3meg steve <vk3meg@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2016 15:00:14 +1100
Im  dx'er small time contester now conditions are waning it not easy with
100w tribander and wire from where i live technogy is the key to getting
young people in. Sdr, great logging/spotting software. etc this creates the
interest i gave up the unassisted catagory after my first seriious contest
that is legacy and if you like it great no issues. remotes are also the
key. Engaging is hard when remote and getting the feel of a contest
station. but nost of these kids sit in their room by themselves playing
game you just need good too fast chat boxes etc they wil get the vibe. the
one thing that makes people take a second look at my hobby apart from the
big antenna in the back yard is the qsl cards from far off places it still
creates the romance that we all know. lotw is good for the confirmation but
the card lets you relive the dream of the qso's working the pile up
thinking of some person in a tent or in the snow in some far off land.

lastly the biggest thing around for new op's is jt65 a snore fest for most
of us but alot of the younger ones love it. now a contest in jt65
............. something to think about transmitting on multiple band
similtaniously even with the right software and hard ware lots to consider
then open contesting to the person with an attic antenna and 50w. btw the
young ones and jt65 crowd love awards

just some random thoughts from left field
cheers
Steve
vk3meg

/Flame suit on