Re: [CQ-Contest] QSLing

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] QSLing
From: Barry <w2up@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2016 06:34:35 -0700
Just say no to paper QSLs. While they may have sentimental value, they are an anachronism. I used to QSL 100% received. In 2009, when I downsized, cleaned house, and moved across the country, I decided no more paper QSL cards. I told the W2 buro to throw away my incoming cards when the money was gone (my letter handler told me that for many years I was the most active station he handled) and I stopped sending them funding for buro credits. I make it very clear on my qrz.com page that I'm not a buro member, no more paper QSL cards, and LOTW only. The only exception I made was for a trip to PJ2 a few years ago. For that, I printed up some cards.

Even before 2009, for quite a few years, I didn't keep the buro cards I received. I entered and flagged the QSO in my logging program to print a label, then I'd toss the card. As Randy said, how many more shoeboxes of JA (or EU) cards do I need to keep for no reason? While this may upset the sentimentalists, the paper cards no longer serve any purpose. I have plenty from the 70s-90s, if I ever want to look at them or show them to someone.

Barry W2UP