Re: [CQ-Contest] what is required of recevied audio, and whay

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] what is required of recevied audio, and whay
From: Paul O'Kane <pokane@ei5di.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2017 09:19:14 +0000
On 10/03/2017 01:44, Tom Osborne wrote:
I'm sorry, but if you are calling CQ and the skimmers are spotting you,
you are assisted!   73

Ton W7WHY

It's clear that W7WHY doesn't understand the difference between
Single Op and Single Op Assisted.

All relevant technologies assist one way or another, and many of
them assist by generating extra callers.  For example, stations
with big antennas can hear me when others can't.  I am assisted
by my software, by my equipment and by my experience - but none
of this makes me "Assisted".

The difference is that Single Ops (Unassisted) do not use any
spotting technologies to identify the frequencies AND callsigns
of other stations - they do it all by themselves.

Imagine that - ham-radio contesters who don't connect to the
internet.  They must be dinosaurs :-)

73,
Paul EI5DI

The existing differences between SO and SOA may not matter
to W2UP, but they matter to me when, as a single-op, I do
not use real-time spotting assistance from other operators,
or from remote receivers (RBN) or from local multi-channel
CW decoders.

73,
Paul EI5DI