Re: [CQ-Contest] Appropriate wait time for contest results?

To: Tom Haavisto <kamham69@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Appropriate wait time for contest results?
From: Dave Edmonds <dave@pkministrywebs.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2017 10:48:26 -0400
HI Everone...

I'm enjoying this  thread....I share Tom's view...

i manage the SCQP contest scoring and our goal is to complete the scoring
as soon as possible... As Tom mentioned, we receive cabrillo logs that are
not 'up to code' and I also review each log using scoring sw and via human.
Prior to 2017, we accepted paper logs...I received one log with 400+
contacts on paper... Guess what had to be done before that log was scored
using our sw system?

There are also so many logging program choices folks can use. I see logs
created with out of date programs which create cabrillo formatting
problems.. Some of the more common logging programs are current with our
rules etc, but some are never updated. Here are a few logging programs that
our players used this year... I didn't include NOTEPAD and Excel.

N1MM Logger+
N3FJP's SCQP Contest Log (Out of State)
WriteLog
N3FJP's South Carolina QSO Party Contest Log
WA7BNM Web2Cabrillo
GenLog
N1MM Logger
ADIF Export from N1MMLogger.net - Version 1.0.6076.0
HamRadioDeluxe
Win-Test
ADIF Export from N1MMLogger.net - Version 1.0.6044.0
DXKeeper
KJ4IZW Cabrillo2ADIF
MixW
Aether
CQ/X de NO5W Version
CQPWIN VER.
SkookumLogger
TR Log POST Version
TextWrangler.app

(If you have any part in the development/maintenance of any of these
programs, please review our rules at www.scqso.com every 4-5 months... We
will have scoring changes each year. Thank you to the guys who keep their
sw updated!!!!)

With the small contests, like QPs, every contact and multiplier is the
difference between winning and coming in 2nd place... I've been there as a
player many times! That means, that means to me that any contacts that are
in question, must be reviewed. Scoring a smaller contest using ONLY a sw
scoring program without human intervention is an injustice to all entries.
Does this happen?

My goal is for the process to be completed as soon as possible while
ensuring that the scoring process was valid and results were accurate.

Just an observation from a very active contest participant. Since I have
experience on both sides of the contest... as a player and admin... I do
believe that there are contests which may delay results to create interest
in the next year's contest... Like publishing the results within a month or
two of the next contest. By all means, please publish the results when
completed.

After 4 years of 'continuous' contesting,  I have a 'results posting
calendar', so I know when to expect the results each year..

By the way, thanks the MDCQP for the nice 2016 plaque and I can't wait to
receive my 2016 OHQP and 2016 NYQP plaques.

Enjoy the GAQP this weekend!

73s Dave WN4AFP

Dave Edmonds
PK Ministry Webs