Re: [CQ-Contest] Appropriate wait time for contest results?

To: DXer <hfdxmonitor@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Appropriate wait time for contest results?
From: Tom Haavisto <kamham69@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2017 21:41:35 -0400
>From your comments, I gather you have never been involved in post contest
log processing.

Fair enough, but consider this:  I look after a QSO Party, and handle the
post contest logs.  This is not a complaint - I am happy to do it, but it
is interesting to see the post contest logs.  Some logs don't support my
QSO Party, so folks choose "something close".  Some require repair work
before I can proceed to the next step.  Some folks use old/odd software
that "sorta" generates a Cabrillo spec output.  I hesitate to invalidate
the efforts of a part-time entrant, lest they decide that next year - they
simply won't bother.  Some must be from a spread sheet output.  The header
is fine - the QSO lines are... odd, but contain all the info I need.

I realize full well that this is MY choice - to repair the logs so they can
proceed in the log checking process,  Yes - it takes time to correct these
logs, and I am happy to do it.

Consider the option you seem to advocate:  "Dear contester:  your log is
not in a valid format.  Bzzt.  You are disqualified.  Please update your
logging software, and please try again next year.  Signed - contest
manager".  THAT would be a heartbreaking email to receive from a contest
manager...  *I* would not want to be the author of one.

So - it may take an extra week or three while repair work is done - behind
the scenes, silently, without comment, but it sure beats the alternative!

Tom - VE3CX