Re: [CQ-Contest] HOGGING COEFFICIENT

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] HOGGING COEFFICIENT
From: K9MA <k9ma@sdellington.us>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2017 11:05:20 -0500
I know this is flame bait, but even without dueling CQ's, I think there's a problem. Especially when only one band is open, the band is often chock full of multi-op stations and big guns continuously calling CQ, but making very few contacts late in the contest. Meanwhile, perhaps hundreds of S&P operators are tuning the band, failing to find anyone new, but unable to work each other because none of them can find a CQ frequency. Now, if the goal is to maximize the scores of the big guns, this is fine. If it is to encourage more participation, it's not. After failing to find a new contact in 10 minutes or so, a lot of us are going to turn off the radio.

Note that I'm not saying <<I>> want a CQ frequency: I want some other operators I haven't already worked to call CQ!

It might be interesting to analyze the logs for a big contest sometime to find out how many operators never called CQ, and hence never could have worked each other.

I'm not sure what the solution is, and no doubt any proposal would result in fierce opposition from the big guns. A modest proposal: After 2 minutes (or whatever) without a reply to your CQ, you must relinquish the frequency. (A modified Sprint rule.)

Asbestos suit on.

73,

Scott  K9MA

--