Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R Two Keyboard

To: "Mike DeChristopher" <mfdechristopher@gmail.com>, "Stephen Bloom" <sbloom@acsalaska.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R Two Keyboard
From: "Bob Shohet, KQ2M" <kq2m@kq2m.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2017 10:50:39 -0400
Hi Steve,

2 Radios, 2 Keyboards, 2 Computers – ALWAYS! since I started SO2R 30 years ago
in the 1987 ARRLDXCW.

The value of the 2nd keyboard to the opr. depends on what the op. is going to
do with it and how proficient he/she is going to become with it  Here are some
of the questions that you want to consider:

How fast do you want to be able to work guys?  100 /hr?, 200/hr? 300/hr?

Do you want to be able to cq and run on BOTH radios simultaneously?  I do – you
can’t do this with one keyboard.

How easy do you want to make the “thinking” behind SO2R?  The more switching
that you have to do the more you have to think – which can get very hard at
times after you have been up for 40 hours and can barely remember your name.

WHEN your computer crashes (it will at some point), do you still want to be
able to work and log guys?  A 2nd computer and 2nd keyboard allows continuous
operating – if all you have is 1 keyboard attached to the computer that
crashed, you are OFF THE AIR!  And if you DON’T use a paddle but are sending
only with the keyboard, then you are absolutely off the air while you reboot
your computer.  (I ALWAYS have a paddle attached and operate with it.)

Do you want to potentially lose your log in a hard drive crash if you are using
only one keyboard/computer?  I know people that have lost their entire log.  If
you use 2 computers/2 keyboards, then you automatically have a real-time
“backup” log.  I realize that some people may employ servers, “the cloud”
and/or other tech to create real-time backups, but I like to have a computer in
my shack do it for me.

Are you actively looking at the log while you operate?  I often check back on
one keyboard/computer while I am logging on the other.  I also like to check
propagation sites and review past years logs on the 2nd computer as I operate.
I can’t do this with one computer.

Do you want to be able to read email or do other tasks on the 2nd computer
while you operate?  I do – and I can’t do that with one computer.

I am only scratching the surface here – but as cumbersome as it may be to use 2
computer with 2 keyboards, using 2 as opposed to 1 is essential for me and for
many other serious ops.

As a rule, when operating, I like to keep all of my options open – and I can do
that better with 2 of everything rather than 1 of everything.

73 and GL!

Bob  KQ2M