Re: [CQ-Contest] Self spot in ARRL DX

To: Henry Pollock - K4TMC <kilo4tmc@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Self spot in ARRL DX
From: Stan Stockton <wa5rtg@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2024 09:48:00 -0500
I will attempt to explain the rationale. In CW contests everyone gets
spotted automatically.  All you have to do is call CQ and if you have a
signal that can be heard you will be spotted on the RBN. In effect you are
doing something to cause yourself to be spotted just by calling CQ.  There
is little argument that on CW it is perfectly fair since the existence of
the RBN.

However, on phone, there is no skimmer and those people who have more
friends, belong to bigger clubs, etc are spotted more often than the other
people.  If everyone has the ability to self spot it doesn't put them in
the assisted category any more than being automatically spotted on the RBN
puts those operators in the assisted category.  However, it makes it so
those who are using assistance have equal access to everyone who is calling
CQ.

Stan, K5GO