Re: [Karlnet] RG1000 voltage regulator?

Subject: Re: [Karlnet] RG1000 voltage regulator?
From: "Sam Deller - Airnet NZ" <sam.deller@airnet.net.nz>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 21:28:01 +1200
Standard RG's have a 5 pin reg on-board. I dont have one on hand but if you
do a google search with the component number, the exact specs of the onboard
reg are easy to find.
The reg is the largish square component, with 5 pins and the back is
soldered to the board.

>From memory it is a 6volt regulator that can handle 20+ Volts input

I tested the RG up to 13.9v no problem... (12v with solar charge regulator)
However we ended up having to run (at the same site) an AP-1000 too.
AP-1000 needs 5.5v to 'boot' and 5.9v to be stable. A switch mode DC-DC
power module is the most efficient way to do this. Our one in question could
handle up to 40v DC input. Output was 95% efficient 6.0v - perfect for both
RG and AP alike.

Check http://www.lambda-gb.com/pp.htm - only 2 other components required to
make a highly stable power supply adjustable from 5.0 - 6.2v DC

anyway.. back to the question.. yes you can run a standard RG directly off a
12v battery with charging system attached... we did for 8 months with no
overheating or burnt out units until the 6v DC-DC converter was put in
place.

-Sam