Re: [Orion] Orion PTT Question

To: orion Reflector <orion@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Orion] Orion PTT Question
From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 16:58:53 -0600
> I believe all the software does is put the rig in transmit mode.  The
> Orion has commands to "key" (TK)and "unkey" (TU) the
transmitter.
> Perhaps this will accomplish the "PTT via comm port" function.

I assumed you were talking about CW.  If you are, then the Key and
unKey commands send and shut off a CW carrier.  If you use these
functions in CW mode, they won't do anything but key up a steady
carrier.

In voice modes, they act like you'd expect PTT to act, placing the
radio into transmit mode, etc.  So they can be used for digital modes
if you're sending audio tones to the transmitter in AFSK mode, etc.

Not sure what the effect is in FSK, since I haven't tried it in that
mode.

Grant/NQ5T