Re: [Orion] Laptop to Orion, USB to serial adapter

To: orion@contesting.com, rheming1@sbcglobal.net
Subject: Re: [Orion] Laptop to Orion, USB to serial adapter
From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 23:40:52 -0500
> I would appreciate it if anyone that uses a laptop with a USB port
> undates the Orion which has a serial port, would inform me of a good
> adapter for this.  I am using Keyspan at present and it may be causing
> me some problems.

What's Keyspan?

My USB adapters are from Cables To Go ---
http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat%5Fid=1501&sku=26886

I use them problem free with the Orion, a GPS-locked frequency
standard, and other things.  My current laptop has no serial port, and I
use the USB-RS-232 exclusively when the computer is in the radio room.

I run XP Home on a desktop (the normal machine I use to load the Orion)
and XP PRO on my laptop which I use in the radio room with
MixW/RigExpert for digi modes, and have used as well as with the Orion
for both updates and N4PY software.

> I have also been told that Windows XP home is difficult to use for the
> flash undate, but that Windows XP Pro works very well. Comments???

Old Wives' Tale.  Both versions of XP are good.  There's no need to
spend the bucks for Pro just for USB-RS232.  T-T Update doesn't seem
to care which OS it's being run on.

Grant/NQ5T