RFI

Re: [RFI] CFL bulbs - NO WAY

To: dhallam@rapidsys.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] CFL bulbs - NO WAY
From: "philwait@bigpond.net.au" <philwait@bigpond.net.au>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 15:56:23 +1000
we may see a reversal of
> warming to a cooling cycle.

Now that's really bad news. The only thing worse than global warming is global
cooling. We are just comming out of an ice-age and a few degrees cooler on
average will put us back under the ice again. Watch out North America and
Northern Europe!

Unfortunately mass hesteria has taken over the world. Well respected scientists
are now basing their reputation on interpretations of small changes in
measurement date that simply was not possible a few years ago, and the media is
more than willing to go along with it.

Only problem is the climate is not a linear system and linear extrapolations
simply don't work. Climate is random and variations can be extreme and fast.
Remember when Greenland was green - that's why it was called Greenland- it was
warmer in Greenland then.

The level of CO2 in the earths crust and the oceans is so vast that anything
man can do is insignificant on a geological time scale, and buried in the noise.

Do you remember the Chernobyl disaster. The Swedish were told not to leave
their homes for fear of radiation. Well Swedish homes are built in on granite,
and granite emits radon gas as it decays. The Swedish were exposed to much more
radiation staying in their homes that they would have been by going outside!

Thats the power of the media and when society as a whole believes it the
politicians have little option than to go along.

However, it makes sense that we don't pollute any more than we have to, and we
strive to make most efficient use of our resources. Plastics and chemicals are
far more important uses for oil than driving hulks around. I have just returned
from China and believe me, it's bad...very bad. Hong Kong is buried under smog
from China every day and each Chinese electronics factory makes 20-50 new
useless products every year.

So even if it's not true, it makes sense to become more efficient.

By the way, last week I went to the Taipei, Hong Kong, and Mainland China
electronics shows and although there were some Homeplug type applications, they
certainly were not there in great numbers. I don't think I'm seeing any
significant uptake of the technology as yet by Asian standards.

bye
Phil
VK2DKN