RFI

Re: [RFI] Car laptop adaptors

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Car laptop adaptors
From: "Jim P" <jvpoll@dallas.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 10:50:07 -0600
Just looked at the service info for an:

      IBM Thinkpad 380ED (updated w/Win98)

Reviewing the service manual the expected voltage
range out of the AC mains/DC power supply itself
(not necessarily the laptop's requirement) shows to
be in the range of +14.5 to +17 VDC with 'tip'
positive.

I'm going to try Vbatt straight straight into this laptop
because the inverter I've got is just too noisy on ten
Meters even!

The "+12V" line I will use runs directly to the battery
through a breaker nearer the battery - past experience
shows that in the neighborhood of 14 V can be seen
on a car electical system with engine running, which
is how I'll be using this laptop (moving map program
w/GPS rcvr). Ground will be to the frame in the
passenger area (GM B-body RWD car circa mid 90's)

I'm also going to disconnect the input Vbatt during
engine cranking.

JimP // WB5WPA//