RFI

Re: [RFI] Plasma TV's are killing our hobby

To: RFI <RFI@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Plasma TV's are killing our hobby
From: Kelly Johnson <n6kj.kelly@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 09:28:34 -0800
Think PLASMA's are a big problem?  Wait 'till you have an indoor
marijuana farmer in your neighborhood with 1KW grow lights running off
switched-mode ballasts that probably don't even meet industrial
emissions rules!   I was told that "grow lights" are now the #1 source
of ham RFI complaints at the ARRL; eclipsing powerline noise
complaints.  An article in our local newspaper a few months ago stated
that the number of indoor growing operations in urban/suburban
residential areas is growing rapidly.  I know 2 different people in my
area that were pretty much knocked off the air by this problem.   Do a
search of eBay and you'll see how many of these things are available
for sale.