RFI

Re: [RFI] Help with Bad RFI.

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Help with Bad RFI.
From: "Hare, Ed W1RFI" <w1rfi@arrl.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 09:15:03 -0500
Hi, Jim,

We had such a page for a couple of years on the old ARRL site, and I don't
recall more than a single outside contribution to the sounds page.  As my
earlier post said, I hope to see that page placed on the site again, soon.

The new ARRL site has a lot more content-management capabilities, so I am
hoping that we can see more input from hams worldwide to help make the site
better.  As I figured out long ago, all good things in Amateur Radio don't come
from Newington, CT!  With RFI, we are in pretty good shape, because our staff
have had a LOT of experience with both the social and technical aspects of RFI
issues, with material that starts with the social issues on purpose, but almost
all of the smarts we have came from people that help to make us smart. :-)

I have especially appreciated your work documenting the characteristics of
ferrites vs numbers of turns.  We had submissions of some of that in the past
from others, but alas, they had used hard-to-find and obscure ferrite
materials.  I hope to get links to your ferrite graphs added to several places
in the ARRL RFI material.

Although a wide range of ferrite materials can be used, in general, ARRL had
recommended -75 material for low HG and -43 material for upper HF and VHF.  As
noted by you and others, the -31 material is slightly better across a wider
frequency range, so it is now our recommended "all around" material. It is
available in the FT-240 size that is very useful for making common-mode chokes
for larger cables.

Unfortunately, we still see problems with hams equating ferrite with all
common-mode chokes (CMC).  Our material outlines why it is necessary to wind a
number of turns onto a toroidal core, but again and again, hams tell me put a
couple of "ferrite beads" onto a cable and expected it to serve as a CMC on HF.
 Unfortunately, beads are just so much easier that hams talk themselves into
using them.  They may work, in a few cases, where they are located at current
node in the complex distribution of current and impedances in a large wiring
system and only a few dB are needed,  but as you have so aptly noted, toroids
and inductance are needed.

Ferrites work by three mechanisms -- resistive loss, inductance serving to
reflect energy and inductance coupled with self-and stray-capacitance to do an
even better job of sending unwanted energy back from whence it came.  I think
that the dominant mechanism in most applied common-mode chokes is reactive, as
each wire passing through the core adds the resistive losses linearly, but adds
inductance by the number of turns squared. The ideal CMC effectiveness does
involve resonance, but I think that with the complexities and variations in the
systems, the stray capacitance and self-capacitance is hard to predict, so most
of the time, the Z of the choke is probably predominantly inductive.

I'll take it either way. Energy that is lost as heat in the core is considered
ideal, but if there is a strong common-mode signal on a cable, as long as I can
prevent it from getting inside the equipment I am trying to protect, the exact
mechanism is pretty much moot.   For the most part, this is also true of
internal grounding issues in equipment, as most of the time, hams are not going
to open up equipment to correct the internal grounding, so it may not even be
possible to know whether it is an internal grounding issue is the dominant
cause, of some other stray coupling mechanism inside a piece of equipment.  No
matter the cause, if common-mode signals are kept out of equipment, its
potential for being susceptible to RFI is significantly reduced.

73,
Ed Hare, W1RFI
ARRL Laboratory Manager
225 Main St