RFI

[RFI] My RFI - weekly report.

To: RFI@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] My RFI - weekly report.
From: "Kenneth G. Gordon" <kgordon2006@frontier.com>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 09:28:24 -0700
Well, as I reported some time ago, this garbage appears to be getting
slowly worse.

This morning, on 17 meters it was S-8. Switching to 20, it was S-9.

I am setting up a receiving system with a chart-recorder (Rustrak) on the
output so that I can get some idea of whether or not there is a variation in
noise level during the day. So far, from just listening over the past many
weeks, there does not appear to be any daily variation: it just "sits" at 10 DB
over S-9 on 3600 KHz here 24/7. It rises to 20db over S-9 at times, but I now
suspect that is because some additional source adds to the "normal" level.

In order to help with my receiving issues here, I intend to put up a
rotatable, amplified loop of some sort. I am hoping that will at least
enable me to receive signals below S-8...

I and our oldest son will go do some DFing this week some time.

I have modified my "Thompson" DF loop in order to make it easier to take
more accurate bearings, and have borrowed a Geologist's Brunton Compass
which will enable us to take the bearings within 1 degree.

The DF loop tunes to 80 meters, and its size, 24" in diameter, makes it
less accurate on 40 meters and above, but more accurate as one goes down
in frequency.

However, our main noise appears to have a very broad peak at 3600 KHz.

Taking more care with mapping should enable us to at least get within
"smelling" distance of the source.

Trouble is, there is so much OTHER noise, that our main one is difficult
to localize.

In any case, I think we will continue this search by first attempting to
localize the more obnoxious "smaller" sources, then, assuming that, with
help, we will be able to eliminate those, one at a time, we may eventually
be able to more accurately pinpoint our most obnoxious one, that
broad-band "white noise" which is making things most difficult for many of
us around here.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Kenneth G. Gordon W7EKB

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."--- John   Wayne