RFI

Re: [RFI] RFI @ VHF Line Filters

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI @ VHF Line Filters
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2015 23:32:28 -0400
On 5/21/2015 8:45 AM, Tom Lizak wrote:
Paul/N1BUG,

What make and model PS?

I view changing models, makes, and sizes with a bit of worry so if planning a change I purchase one and give it a thorough workout. In all these years, I've only had two fail and no ingress or egress from any. It's been a long time so I do not remember the make and model of either PS that failed. They just quit working. All have had internal line filters from the factory.

Currently I have 3 computers with 850 W Corsair modular power supplies. A 4th is nearing completion. My wife's computer makes 5, but I don't remember what's in it. Once I set hers up and get it working, I do not touch it again unless she asks for help<:-)) With computers, modular means the cables plug into the PS, so you only have the wiring you need, rather than the way we'd use the term.

One computer in the den is about 5' from the rig (FT5000MP and legal limit amp) with an 8 port gigabit network managed switch about 2' from the rig. Router (dual band wireless and 4 port CAT-5) and Modem are very close to the rig. The CAT-5 runs with the interconnecting lines for the station. There is no detectable ingress, or egress.

The two computers in the shop are about 3 to 5' from the rigs, again with no detectable ingress or egress.
My wife's computer is connected into the network via wireless.

I HOPE to get the computers in the shop on wireless soon as that CAT-5 is not good with thunder storms around.

That wired network is an easy way for lightening to get into the rigs. I plan on making the SO2R system as well as 144 and 440 remotely accessible via the internet for when I'm on the road. I "might" even get it done.

73

Roger (K8RI)

I found that replacing the AC connector of the computer p/s with a CorCom
6EF1 line filter works getting rid of the RFI/hash from the switching p/s
which is most likely the problem. They are the solder type I believe and fit
right into the AC socket hole of the computer p/s.  Took out all the RFI in
the HF/6m bands !

Tom/k1tl...

---