Re: [RTTY] When did mechanical teleprinters become obsolete?

To: "'RTTY Reflector'" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] When did mechanical teleprinters become obsolete?
From: "Don Hill AA5AU" <aa5au@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 21:29:22 -0500
When I worked at DYE-5 in Iceland on the DEW line from 1977-1979 we still used a
TTY machine to send our daily reports.

Never saw another one in use since I left there that I can remember.

It was a lot of fun to compose the daily report and run the tape.  Luckily we
didn't have to service the machine!  We left that for the military techs.

73, Don AA5AU