Re: [RTTY] Station upgrade

To: "AD5VJ Bob" <rtnmi@sbcglobal.net>, <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Station upgrade
From: "Bill Turner" <dezrat@copper.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 04:01:43 -0800
On Saturday, February 25, 2006 10:42 PM [GMT+1=CET],
AD5VJ Bob <rtnmi@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Well, slowly I am catching on here. Ok let me ask you
> this, now that I have monitored the bands all day and have
> saved many RTTY frequencies to memory, this being a NA
> contest I have many local (if you will) frequencies for
> local chatting.
>
> The big question at this point is - are there places the
> DX hangs out.
>
> Right now I hear absolutely no RTTY on the low (40/80)
> bands. So since the bands have stretched, where do I hunt
> for DX for RTTY.
More DX is found between 14080 and 14090 than all the other bands put
together. Spend most of your listening time there, but when there is a major
DXpedition happening, like the recent 3Y0X, the other bands will be active
too.

As W7AY points out in another post, being able to observe a wide slice of
the spectrum is good, but you will find that watching only 2.4 kHz at a time
is not enough. You will still have to use The Big Knob in the Middle.

And you're right about 80 and 40 meter DX. Supposedly the DX wroking
frequencies are 3590 and 7040 but I have listened there for hours and never
heard anything at all, never mind DX. Except during contests. Aside from
DXpeditions, far and away the best way to work DX is during contests. Check
the WA7BNM calendar for listings.

For ragchewing, try 14080-14090 during the day and 7080-7090 at night, but
don't take "day" and "night" too precisely. There is usually some overlap.
Very little ragchewing is done on the other bands, which is too bad, IMO.
When the sunspots increase in a few years, 15 and 10 will be busy too. The
WARC bands have some activity too. Listen around 10140 on 30. On 17 I have
little or no experience. 17 is a good band but I don't have a beam, so for
me, 20 and 15 are better.

And most important, ask lots of questions and have lots of fun!

73, Bill W6WRT