[RTTY] Are digital modes a DXexpedition afterthought?

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: [RTTY] Are digital modes a DXexpedition afterthought?
From: <montemerlo@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 12:54:27 -0500 (CDT)
At the risk of sounding a bit too critical, I believe some of the DXexpeditions
are taking the Digital modes
a bit too lightly.

I have no issue with those who chose not to run Digital modes, or, as was the
case with Aves Island,
awful things happen.

What I do get very upset with, are multi-week DXexpeditions, which state on
their web sites that they will be running PSK31 & RTTY modes, update those
websites on a regular basis, and then remove the
Digital notice the day they pack up to leave while only trying a couple of
PSK31 contacts the last day.

It does a great disservice to Hams needing that DX on RTTY, who monitor them
faithfully for a couple of weeks, and then do not even get a chance to match
wits with propogation.

A lot has been said about how to efficiently use a DX's time. Maybe a bit more
should be said about the
reverse. My instinctive response is just to add the members to that very short
list of hams that either
refused to QSL or QRM'd on the air.

What do others think???

Bob KB1JZU

On a brighter note, I just recieved a QSL from SV2BFN for Maldive(8Q7GE) on 17
& 20 in great time.
16 calender days from when I mailed the direct request.....impressive for an
international direct QSL
putting him in my top 10 response times.