Re: [RTTY] Decoder thoughts after WPX

To: "john@kk9a.com" <john@kk9a.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Decoder thoughts after WPX
From: " pcooper" <pcooper@guernsey.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 11:39:50 -0800
Hi John, and the group,

A good question, and one that I was contemplating asking too!

I use both MMTTY (main decoder) with 2Tone as a clone.
For MMTTY, I have my own profile, which is a combination of others that have
been mentioned in the past.

The TYPE is FIR, with a TAP of 72, LPF of 40 and AV set at 70. I also have the
NOT set right in the middle of the two lines.
That has worked well for me, and decodes most stuff OK during the usual contest
scenario.

Now, 2Tone is where my main queries lie, as I had a play about with the
settings during WPX.
On the left there is a choice between Selective/Spread/Flat/Flutter.
During the contest, I found that more distant stations were better decoded with
Flutter, whereas EU stations were much better with Selective. Flat seemed to
miss as much - or more - than MMTTY whereas spread seemed poor at decoding even
strong signals.
I have not yet learnt which is best for which type of scenario regarding 2Tone.
The help file only tells you that they each use a different type of filtering,
so I guess you have to try each and see what works best at any given time.
With 2Tone, changing the filtering works very quickly, whereas in MMTTY,
nothing gets decoded for several seconds while the changes are implemented.

On another note, I tried GRITTY during the contest, but that doesn't work if
you have the rig filters set to anything other than wide open, which then
hinders the ability of MMTTY/2Tone to decode stuff, especially when there is a
very loud station nearby.
I did try working "split" on the same frequency, with GRITTY decoding the other
VFO, with wide filters, but having three windows to look at is too much for my
addled brain!

On the other hand, GRITTY is excellent for working weak DX, especially where
they are working split. I can have GRITTY decode the main VFO, with MMTTY for
TX on the other VFO.
Just not ideal for contesting.

It would be interesting to hear what others have found too.

73 de Phil GU0SUP