[Trlog] Watching an old friend slowly die

Subject: [Trlog] Watching an old friend slowly die
From: k0emt at dbbear.com (Bryan - k0emt)
Date: Fri Feb 21 14:11:54 2003
Tony Casciato, AI9X wrote:
> Maybe another thought would be since we are at this crossroad, a version
of
> TR that would run universally on any hardware.... Write something
> in a portable language ... that will run on Windows, Mac, Linux - or even
a networked application

Tony is on the right track.

Think of this:
Write the core application in Java.
Have Machine/OS specifics (com/lpt port handling) in an accompanying
process/program.
The core app communicates via a socket with the supporting processes.

The Java app could talk directly to any IP type device.  For instance you
may have a small piece of network enabled equipment for turning your beam
or switching antennas, etc.

'Card' based web servers that handle 'switch flipping' are out now.  I
saw one on tech tv, from Fairchild labs, that was being used to control
the direction and speed of multiple trains on a model rail road.  He was
controlling it all from a wireless Palm unit.

In the Java/IP world the networking of computers becomes a cinch and
opens all sorts of possibilities.

Another possibility, create a Linux Console Mode application.  Direct
access to all hardware as well as having access to network functions.
Using virtual consoles you can switch to another screen for telnet,
packet, or gui stuff.

73,

Bryan -- k0emt          <><
http://www.dbbear.com/k0emt/