Re: [Trlog] 4-port PCMCIA card saga

To: "Mark Beckwith" <n5ot@n5ot.com>, <trlog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Trlog] 4-port PCMCIA card saga
From: "Igor Sokolov" <ua9cdc@r66.ru>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 21:12:56 +0500
I have been using TRlog from Win98 in DOS window for the last 7 years on
different computers with no problems at all. Several other locals also use
it in this manner. The advantages are as follows:
1) Smart drive is not needed. Windows is utilizing  one of it's own
2) Windows provides memory management which allows one to have more memory
for TRlog.
3) It is possible to run some other programs simultaneously with TRlog. I
run WintelnetX in windows and it supplies spots for TRlog. You need 3 RS232
porst for that on the same computer: 2 for the link between WintelnetX and
TRlog and one for the radio. I also run Grey Line program and can instantly
switch to see where the Grey Line is. I also sometimes have Outlook express
and Internet explorer running.
4) If TRlog freezes (happens very rarely) you do not need to reboot. Just
close the Dos window and start it again. Saves plenty of time.
5) Your computer can be part of the ethernet network so you can quickly
equalize logs when running in multy op environment.
I might have missed some other advantages but even the firs two on my list
are enough reasons for me to use TRlog in Win98 environment.
With the lap top I am using EtherSerial PCMCIA card by Silicom
www.silicom.co.il (I purchased several cards through Ebay) or Argosy card
http://www.argosy.ru/io.htm (this site is in Russian but the card can be
located by the picture anyway). These two types of cards were tested for use
with TRlog many times and proved to be suitable.

73, Igor UA9CDC