WTB TenTec Tuner Model 238

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: WTB TenTec Tuner Model 238
From: phelbert@rica.net (Paul, Wv3j)
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 1997 07:20:35 -0700
Hi Daune,

I do plan to let all on the reflector know what was wrong with the amp as
soon as I hear back from Ten Tec Service about it.  I really did like the
amp, but my home is really quite quiet most of the time and I could not
enjoy it.  Folks were hearing the fan on my ssb signal as well.  I wish I
had a means of measuring the sound level because someone earlier had stated
that it was not more than that of an SB-200.  I suppose it is possible that
my ears fool me due to difference in frequency of the noise, but to my ears
my SB-200 is many, many decibels quieter.

Ten Tec's position is that one must accept the noise in order to get the
airflow necessary for optimal cooling.  (That is: they have chosen function
over form (where form is the noise.))

I suppose that it might be possible to provide adequate cooling via a pair
of top mounted exhaust fans, a blower located elsewhere, heat sensing fan
speed control, or some other means.  How much does liquid nitrogen cost
these days?  (<;

Hope you'll forgive my reply with copy to the reflector.  It is my feeling
that free flow of ideas is for the best, that Ten Tec does take criticism
well (often incorporating fruits of these discussions into products) and
that open discussion may bring ideas from the larger group.

73,

Paul Helbert - Wv3j

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/TenTecFAQ.html