[TenTec] Omni VI chirp comment

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI chirp comment
From: paulc@mediaone.net (Paul Christensen)
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 20:23:11 -0500
Yes, another good point guys.  Prior to the mods, my Omni Six's CW note
sounded much different when switching between sidebands on an external
receiver, using a wide I.F. filter setting.  The same is true when listening
to W1AW's 20-meter Omni Six Plus CW signal.  If they would send me their
rig, I'd make the necessary changes gratis!

Here's an alternative to the 2.8 kHz filter that may appeal to some:

Use a small reed relay to bypass the 2.4 kHz filter ONLY in the CW mode.
(keep the contact leads short!)  A hard bypass with the relay's dry contact
closure is fine for this purpose and impedance matching is not critical.
For several months, I've been using a #18 AWG buss-bar jumper instead of the
relay and it works just fine.  Nevertheless, the new INRAD 2.8 kHz filter
offers a higher fidelity receive bandwidth that I personally like and
LSB/USB symmetry is excellent.  However as Clark pointed out, the added
receiver fidelity improvement will be much more apparent when INRAD produces
the new 2.8 kHz @ 6.3 MHz I.F. filter for the second I.F. stage.

-Paul, W9AC