[TenTec] Decisions - Sell TT Gear

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Decisions - Sell TT Gear
From: kh7m@hsa-kauai.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 12:28:37 -1000
Hi all,

Well,  here I sit pondering what to do about four
TT rigs I have picked up over the past three years
or so,  really just to compare performance among them.
Well,  they are all just great!  But they are different,
spanning some 20+ years,  and of differing design.

But,  I really only and actually believe I want to keep one
of them.  I am trying to give one away,  one of my two
Triton 544's;  have offered to a private school out here,
but that was months ago,  and they just have not gotten
around to coming by to pick it up!  One of the teachers has,
at last,  gotten a license, the new 5 wpm sort,  which is fine.
But not real sure how really serious they are about wanting
the 20 year old unit.  Someone will probably show up here
should I call and tell them I am about to sell it elsewhere!
Anyway,  also the following 544.

This other 544 also has TT accessories: remote VFO, a new TT
PS,  and both the TT remote/RF SSB voice processor
and the 160 meter converter,  and manuals,  and the original
TT,  ala Electrovoice,  mike for the Triton (with the odd phono
plug mike connector).

Also have a Corsair II,  new TT PS for same,  the matching
remote VFO.  Both of these rigs have been to TT in the
last couple of years to have the PTO's rebuilt,  realigned,
etc.  Manual,  sales literature,  etc. also for the C II.

Also have an Omni VI+, and matching PS; this rig is "full"
of INRAD filters including two 2.8's and a pair of 400Hz
CW units.  Have several other TT and INRAD filters also.

I only would like to keep one of these rigs,  and am thinking of
keeping it primarily for CW;  but,  if I keep the Omni,  have it
set up just now with the computer for PSK operation.  Though
no big deal, I think,  to set up either a Triton or the Corsair for
PSK as well.  Not finding the PSK mode to be that "exciting"
for me,  anyway,  hi.

Which of these should I keep??  Any opinions based upon any
particular feature/benefit.  I have operated all three of course,
and find myself unable really to reach a decision,  hi.  They
probably differ by about 10 years space in production: the
Triton late 70's,  the Corsair late 80's,  and the Omni was
new in late Summer,  early Fall '98.

Part of the problem is the dollars I have into the three "new"
TT power supplies,  and the fact that these rigs are out here
in Hawaii,  which adds to the cost of shipping,  and subtracts
from the value to potential main land buyers.

I certainly cannot operate them all,  and it is too bad to have
them sitting here growing older along with me.  I got them for
what I wished: evaluation,  experimenting,  etc.  I am NOT a
serious DX chaser,  nor contester,  more sort of casual
ragchewing;  which is where I started way back in 1950!

Thoughts,  suggestions,  offers?

73,  Jim,  KH7M