[TenTec] how 'bout the jupiter vs. kenwood's ts-2000?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] how 'bout the jupiter vs. kenwood's ts-2000?
From: justo@maplenet.net (j)
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 18:24:24 -0500
1st, let me state that i've been thoroughly enjoying these last series of
posts re: the comparison of the ic 756pro and the omni as well as the RF in
TT equip.  it's helping me a lot as i try to learn more about station
set-up, what to look for, how-to identify problems, etc...

2nd, i've kind of avoided asking this as i do *not* want to come across
negative nor am i trying to pit one company against another.  i would simply
like to learn from those of you who have the experience and are seasoned
hams, before i make a major investment in equipment.

so my question is this, i was looking at purchasing the jupiter some time
before the end of 2001.  however, earlier this year i've started to learn
more about kenwood's ts-2000 and was curious if any of you had comments
concerning &/or comparing both rigs (ie, TT's jupiter and kenwood's
ts-2000).  sharing your experience &/or thots will give me s.thing to think
about as i decide which of the 2 i should go for.

the positives that i've seen w/TT's jupiter are: strong customer support;
legendary cw; good quality; overall positive reviews at eham.net (although i
haven't checked them lately); and yes, even the RF issue (as i don't want RF
in the shack, may be it can also function as an RF alarm to alert me to it's
presence :o)   ).

the negatives of the jupiter are: it only handles tx in 10-160, which means
i'd have to buy more equip. to cover the 6m/2m/440 bands; and the RF issue
(i guess it's a double-edged sword as i want to put up a long wire loop and
it seems that some of you have had problems when using a long wire).

the positives on the ts-2000 are: covers all hf, 6m, 2m, 440, 23cm in one
unit; and reviews on eham.net and yahoogroups have been overall positive
(although i haven't checked them lately).

the negatives on the ts-2000 are: customer support not as good as TT; cw not
as legendary on kenwood rigs as they are on TT's; and some people have had
trouble w/satellite qso's, but i have heard that kenwood is working on a
fix.

i realize that the 2 units are in different pricing tiers, but i figure that
if i buy a jupiter plus spend more $$ on more rigs to cover the bands that
the kenwood covers, i'll probably be w/i kenwood's price range anyway.

i would greatly appreciate any pointers, observations, and input that any of
you have comparing these 2 rigs.

TIA,