[TenTec] Jupiter Auto Antenna Tuner Installation

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Jupiter Auto Antenna Tuner Installation
From: mark@microenh.com (Mark Erbaugh)
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 16:11:41 -0400
>     Before buying my Jupiter about 5 months ago I used an IC718 and an LDG
> AT-11MP tuner.  The combo was great because the AT-11MP responds to the
Icom
> auto tuner interface just like an Icom tuner.  Push the IC718 'tune'
button
> and the tuner automatically kicks in and the radio shuts off the tuner
when
> SWR reaches (I believe) 1.5:1 or less.  Change bands and the tuner
> automatically kicks in.  Very good setup.  I now use the AT-11MP with the
> Jupiter and both work great together but there is much more button pushing
> involved.  A few weeks after receiving the Jupiter I wrote TT about
building
> external AT-11MP support into a firmware revision.  It seems to me it
should
> be easy to port the tuner commands to that unused auxilliary port on the
> back of the Jupiter (BTW, anyone know what that port was supposed to be
used
> for?).  TT wrote back saying, basically, "Good idea, but because of the
way
> the Jupiter is built we can't do that."  Based on all of the 'so-so'
reports
> I read regarding the internal tuner I think I'll stick with the external
> version.  So, I guess I'll just have to keep pushing multiple 'tune'
buttons
> for the rest of my life... (really, it's not that bad).

I agree with the comments on the AT-11MP. However, I do miss the convenience
of one touch tuning.  I have created my own Pegasus control software and
have added one touch tuning to that.  Basically, the hardware interface uses
the Icom interface on the AT-11MP connected to the serial port DTR line
using a common RS-232 / TTL interface converter (like those used to control
transceiver PTT for sound card modes). The Pegasus doesn't use the DTR
signal in its interface to the PC (it uses RTS for flow control), so that
signal is available. My Pegasus control software turns on the tuning RF from
the Pegasus, toggles the DTR signal which starts the AT11MP tuning process,
waits for the SWR to stabilize and then turns off the RF. Other than the DTR
control, this is the same scheme used by the PT11 tuner. It works just like
the built in tuner, except that I don't have manual control to bypass the
tuner or adjust the capacitors or inductors. Of course, I have the tuner
right in front of me and can use the switches - and with the AT-11MP, I find
I don't need to tweak things. With the PT11, I found that I could usually
find a better match by tweaking the tuning.

Mark