[TenTec] Jupiter Auto Antenna Tuner Installation

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Jupiter Auto Antenna Tuner Installation
From: Winston F. Jones" <winjones@ix.netcom.com (Winston F. Jones)
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 18:18:10 -0400
Thanks to all who gave me advice on installing the LDG auto-tuner in the =
Jupiter. I called Gary at Ten-Tec Service at he prepared me on how to =
handle the software download. If it hadn't been for his advice, I would =
probably have messed things up and would have needed to send the rig =
back to Ten-Tec for reprogramming.

To those of you who plan to add the tuner at home: Once you start the =
download from the Ten-Tec supplied floppy disk, DO NOT touch any =
computer key or the radio until the RX light stops blinking and a =
straight black line appears on the Jupiter screen. Apparently the =
software downloads first from the floppy and then for a period of time, =
the Jupiter is updating the DSP chip. If you hit anything during this =
time, it ruins the chip programming and the only recourse is to send it =
back to the factory.

I do wish Ten-Tec included operating instructions with the tuner. I =
assumed it automatically tuned when you change bands and start operating =
into a mismatched antenna. However, I find when I change bands and =
there's a mismatch, I have to manually hit the tune button and let it =
retune on each band. Is there something wrong with my unit?

Also, it sometimes tunes down to only 1.6 or 1.8 and I have to hit tune =
again to get it to tune the SWR down further. Is this the way it is =
supposed to operate?

I have an external LDG tuner and am used to how it works. Is something =
wrong here? Please help.

Thanks.
73, Winston  K4CWQ

multipart/alternative