[TenTec] New ham looking at Pegasus

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] New ham looking at Pegasus
From: n9dg@yahoo.com (Duane Grotophorst)
Date: Wed Mar 5 01:25:22 2003
--- Dudley Hurry <jhurry@austin.rr.com> wrote:

"As far as a FIRST radio, I am not sure that a new ham
can appreciate or understand the operations of the
Pegasus, and might get unhappy with the operation."

On the contrary, I think if you are already
comfortable with computers and find that maneuvering
around your other applications is second nature, - you
may actually find that the various Pegasus control
software packages to be MORE intuitive and user
friendly than the traditional radio panel. This is
because you would be approaching it without any
preconceived notions about how radio controls are
"supposed" to look and work. This I believe is the
biggest user acceptance battle that radios like the
Kachina 505DSP and Pegasus face. All those existing
radio users who often try to make (and want) that
"newfangled" computer controlled radio to look and
work just like all the "real panel? radios have in the
past. This limited view of radio control software is
comparable to trying to work 35WPM CW by writing dots
and dashes on a piece of paper rather copying
(listening to) the "words" in your head.

Also if you haven?t already looked at the eHam.net
reviews for the Pegasus, be sure to look at:

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/165

Most of the reviews there are well reasoned and
informative.

Duane
N9DG