[TenTec] Choice of rigs for contests

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Choice of rigs for contests
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 23:35:22 +0000
<<<...And the main reason has nothing to do with
performance. It's familiarity. These folks depend on a bunch of volunteer
ops descending on their QTH for a weekend of work/play. The only rigs the
various ops know by heart are those MPs. If a contest station suddenly
presented these volunteers with a bunch of nifty new software-driven rigs
to play with, there would be pandemonium as they tried to learn it in a few
hours/minutes. So I think, oddly, the last people to switch over to
superior, modern equipment like the ORION or the forthcoming IC-7800 will
be these "big guns.">>>

You have probably hit on a reason. When I attempted to operate an Orion I found it very difficult to figure out. Many front panel bits of information were cryptic and unintuitive which kind of surprised me since the Omni VI is a breeze--it practically operates itself. I can imagine that would be a problem at first, at a multi-multi station with a lot of guest ops. If the 7800 is easy to figure out without a lot of manual study time it may wind up in some shacks, assuming the performance is there.

Rob Atkinson
K5UJ