[TenTec] Orion issues

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Orion issues
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 19:36:27 +0000
<<<Many contesters spend tens of thousands on towers and antennas to be able to work one more layer of weak stations underneath the noise. The Orion's ability to dig these stations out in the presence of strong signals is a bargain. Even a 4-stack can't do that!>>>

What's implied here, I imagine unintentionally, is that if you get an Orion, you can do without really excellent antennas. Before someone runs out to get an Orion instead of a high performance yagi up high on a tower, and thinks the Orion is equalizing things, let me say that antennas, always always trump everything else if you have the cash and the space. You gotta get a signal before the fancy stuff inside can do anything. Given a choice between a dipole and an Orion, or a Scout and a rhombic farm or rotatable dipole curtain, I'll take the latter any day. An extreme example for illustrative purposes.

Rob Atkinson
K5UJ