[TenTec] RFI and Orion Mic connector - bad info

To: tentec@contesting.com, orion@tentec.com
Subject: [TenTec] RFI and Orion Mic connector - bad info
From: Duane A Calvin <ac5aa@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 22:32:44 -0500
I wrote the other day that the Orion I used a few months ago had no RFI
problem with a standard Heil ProSet with the Heil-made Ten-Tec adapter.
Well, I received my own Orion last night (yay!) and found that I must
have a faulty memory (too much RF).  I was  chasing YA8G this evening on
20m CW,  unsuccessfully, and decided to switch on the Alpha.  Well, at
only 500W out the lights on the front of the Orion were lighting up like
a Christmas tree when the rig keyed.  I found that if I pulled the Heil's
microphone connector (which also carries the footswitch connector), the
RFI went away.  So it looks like I have some work to do on getting this
straightened out.  My apologies for the brain f*rt.

On the other hand, other than a slightly "tight" encoder on the PBT/BW
knob, the rig is a real joy.  I'm still getting used to the controls
again.

        73,  Duane