Re: [TenTec] RFI and Orion Mic connector - bad info

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] RFI and Orion Mic connector - bad info
From: Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX <RMcGraw@Blomand.Net>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 07:43:55 -0500
Close station to antenna distances will or can cause RFI problems.  Under
close proximity conditions the RF field outside of the radio will be much
higher.  Remember it is a inverse square law that applies here with regard
to RF fieldstrength.

Additionaly, the new breed of radios with all sorts of IN's and OUT's being
connected to various pieces of equipment, computers and such do provide
means for RF to be picked up on the interconnections and thus provide a path
for RF back into the radio.  This is made more complex by radios with lots
of "broadband" circuits.  I really think all manufacturers need to pay
increased attention to de-coupling every IN and OUT connector or port on the
new breed of radios.

One way to confirm RF getting into the radio from an external source is to
take a step by step approach disconnecting each cable and observe the
results.  This is the basics of classes I taught several years ago:
"Troubleshooting by progressive isolation".  Quite often one will find that
a single cable will be the culprit.  In other cases it may be an additive
issue where more cables mean more RF.

Grounding is and is not an issue here.  While one may have all of the
various pieces of equipment in the station bonded together and tied to a
single point with that point going to the station ground, remember that some
16 ft of ground length is 1/4 wave, or maximum voltage point, on 20M.  Under
this condition the station is 1/4 wave above RF ground.  Increasing the
ground length to 32 ft could reduce the RFI concerns for 20M.  However, at
that point the stations is 1/4 wave above ground on 40M.  My  point here is
this,  for operation on the highest frequency the ground should be much less
than 1/4 wavelength.

73
Bob, K4TAX