Re: [TenTec] Sweep display freezing on Orion

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Sweep display freezing on Orion
From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 12:36:21 -0500
> Eric, I just read your review on Eham and feel that after owning the
> Orion for just two days, you really don't know what is going on yet
> with the rig.

It does seem that one ought to give a strange and foreign object more
than two days, at least look for some input and guidance, attempt to
actually learn something about the radio from those who've already
bothered to do so,  and separate cockpit error from real problems before
putting out a "review".

There was a very interesting editorial "Engineers as Soothsayers" in the
September issue of IEEE Computer, about some of the problems design
engineers face when working on new products.  One comment I found
particularly interesting as I read the article ...

" .. humans imagine and create, and those who use their creations soon
relegate them to the status of kitchen brooms, taken for granted except
when they malfunction or otherwise fail to satisfy their owner's ever-
increasing expectations.  If there is a kitchen broom god, she gets busier
every day."

Grant/NQ5T