[TenTec] Sweep display freezing on Orion

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Sweep display freezing on Orion
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 21:37:52 -0400
N4LQ wrote:
>I didn't see anything about AM broadcast band stations though Bill. We have
one here on 840khz, WHAS, 50kw about 10 to 15 miles away. You wouldn't
believe how strong they are here. I have a small field strength meter which
is nothing more than a diode across a microamp meter and a whip antenna. I
can touch the whip antenna to anything metal such as the ground terminal and
the meter jumps up half scale. I can see the needle modulate to WHAS's
program contents. There is more going on here than just some ham on 160m
down the street. Yes, possibly my Orion had a hardware problem. I'm still
reporting it.

I forgot to mention that the transmitter site for KOA Denver (50 kW on
850 kHz) is in Parker, CO...the same town as W0YG's QTH, but I don't recall
Charlie mentioning this as a problem for any rig. Parker is not a very
large town so Charlie can't be too far from the transmitter site. I would
also think that 1.5 kW to a 4-square (~5 dB gain or 5 kW ERP) <1 mile away
will be a much greater problem when operating on 160 than 50 kW at 850 kHz.
Since strength is inversely proportional to the square of the distance,
unless the KOA site is closer than ~3 miles, the 160 signal should be stronger.
Of course it is also much closer in frequency (i.e. a few kHz versus 1 MHz).
I certainly know which problem I would rather deal with!

73, Bill W4ZV