Re: [TenTec] ARRL Review of FT9000

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] ARRL Review of FT9000
From: "Tracy, Michael, KC1SX" <mtracy@arrl.org>(by way of Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>)
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 10:17:34 -0400
(I forwarded Michels' response since he is not a
member of this list...de W4ZV)

Hi Bill,

 >          ARRL should make some attempt to normalize the
 > IMD and BDR results for a given MDS sensitivity, so
 > that readers are not misled by results with vastly
 > different sensitivity settings.

I have to disagree, as this would mislead folks even more.  There never has
been a *single* number that defines receiver performance, even if many of
the commercial and military market transceivers try to imply that IP3 is
it.  Anyone comparing transceivers for potential purpose should weigh the
relative aspects of both dynamic range and sensitivity.  In this respect,
it is no different than picking a car based on 0-60 times without
considering top speed as well (which might be 65 in some cases!).

73, Michael, KC1SX