Re: [TenTec] O II RF distortion in SSB audio

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] O II RF distortion in SSB audio
From: "Jim Brown K9YC" <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 07:21:16 -0700
On Sat, 26 May 2007 06:24:03 -0600, M. Todd Miskel wrote:

>Is it inherant that a hot front end like Orion is just more
>sensitive to RF, or has TT missed the ball somewhere in
shielding
>the Orion?

Most "RF in the shack" has a "Pin 1 problem" as the root cause.
I haven't looked at the Orion, but my Omni V has a pin 1
problem.  My FT1000MP (which drives a Titan 425) has a pin 1
problem that causes RF feedback distortion on 15M SSB with a
dipole that is 150 ft from the shack! I've tamed it with 7 turns
of the mic cable around a #31 2.4 inch toroid (FT-240). A #43
toroid would also work on 15M.

For a detailed rundown of "the pin 1 problem," see

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

The link below shows how to test for RF susceptibility due to
pin 1 problems.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/AESPaperNYPin1-ASGWeb.pdf

I used my HP 8657A to test my FT1000MP. It showed susceptbility
at the mic jack just above 75M and around 15M. To do the test, I
drove the shield contact as described in the paper, and listened
to my radio on another receiver. The test is pretty simple. You
modulate the RF generator with 1 kHz AM, and tune the generator
over the range of interest. If you hear 1 kHz in the transmitter
output, you have a pin 1 problem.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC