Re: [TenTec] bringing up an old amp

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] bringing up an old amp
From: "Chuck & Vicki Tifft" <cftifft@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 22:39:38 -0700
If your Amp doesn't have a HV on/off switch.(most standby switches only
disable the keying line) then leave the Anode lead(s) disconnected when you
reinstall the tube(s).You can most likely run the amp with the cover off
during this time. I don't put one completely back together until everything
is fully tested. In broadcastig we had spare tubes on the shelf for years
sometimes, and we rarely had the time to cook them for more 30 or 45 minutes
or so before putting them on the air. It was very rare indeed to have a
problem with that. Some of the tubes cost $60K a piece, so you didn't abuse
them if possible. Certanly a few hours of filament time is OK, but over
cooking the tube filament without HV can also be a bad thing.
W6RD