Re: [TenTec] humm

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] humm
From: "Jim Brown K9YC" <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 07:53:41 -0800

>Resistance is indeed the evil.

With lightning, it is INDUCTANCE, NOT RESISTANCE. The energy in
lightning is centered around the AM broadcast band and extends
well into the HF spectrum. Above about 20kHz, the inductive
reactance of any conductor is much greater than its resistance.

>Some hams ground the negative terminal of an Astron to its case,
>but that gurantees a ground loop with your antenna coax shields,
>and will lead to lightning damage to the power supply.

WRONG. Not bonding the negative terminal to the chassis creates a
pin 1 problem, and is likely to CAUSE damage to the supply. Study
the material on "the pin 1 problem" on my website.

ALL equipment chassis MUST be bonded together, AND to the antenna
shields, AND to the power system ground, AND to the Telco and CATV
cables and their grounds. It is when those bonds are missing that
damage is more likely to occur. Further, the use of cheap surge
protectors that contain MOVs is likely to CAUSE damage to
equipment in the case of a strike.

My website http://audiosystemsgroup.com/publish.htm

73,

Jim Brown K9YC