Re: [TenTec] New and Improved Terminology (NVIS origins)

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New and Improved Terminology (NVIS origins)
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2011 19:14:13 -0500

On 1/8/2011 7:48 PM, Rick - NJ0IP / DJ0IP wrote:
> Filling your tubing with foam is the biggest nonsense I've ever heard.

                Oh... come now... not the biggest....?  !  ?

                SOMETHING else must take the cake...     ;-)

> Jim, it took me several years to figure out something that should be
> obvious.
> "If something is worth doing, it's worth doing right."
> After watching a few flimsy antennas break and fall down I developed the
> following strategy:

                UNDERSTOOD ! My wife calls me  "Mr Overkill"  because
                I tend to overbuild everything.  Good tools are worth good
                money.   Good results usually come from good effort.
                That big bag of snakes is often disguised as an ever-loving
                blue-eyed bargain.

> Actually it wasn't the beam, it was the Spiderbeam 60' vertical dipole.  She
> doesn't understand the difference.

                I am the luckiest guy in town.   My wife does a pretty good
                job of listening to me rage about the hobby, and is supportive
                of all my antenna projects.  The only constraint she has
                imposed is that I cannot put any holes in the roof.   She
                even helps me put the antennas up (provided I stay within
                her approx 1 hour attention span... if it takes more than an
                hour, she tends to wander off leaving me to finish on my own. )
                It could be worse.

> Not much you can do when an entire tree falls down and hits your pole!
> Murphy is alive and well.

                1)   Some forces are bigger than we are.

                2)     Understood.   Murphy lives with me when he is
                        not out bothering you other guys.

> As I said in an earlier post, because it was telescoping fiberglass, it only
> cost me about $30 to repair, and it was again straight as an arrow.

                A fiberglass solution is now the leading contender.

                I have two 30-foot fiberglass poles similar to the
                Spiderbeam type poles you like  supporting a
                medium aperture Wellbrook active loop receiving
                antenna and they hardly sway in the wind.

                Now, I am thinking those Spiderbeam poles (using
                only    17 +/- feet thereof)  and thick gauge stranded
                wire (either inside or attached outside the poles) for
                the radiator.   My local friend suggested a way to
                terminate the radiator with a short stinger that can be
                adjusted for tuning for resonance and low SWR, etc.
                This notion seems more workable than his foam
                dampening idea.   (Parenthetically, I think he derives
                a certain amount of vicarious pleasure in helping me
                with my antenna projects... his XYL won't let him have
                any outdoor antennas... so I think he has fun pitching
                in to build mine... which is OK by me. )

                The good news is I have the 40-6 meter OCF dipole and
                10 meter aluminum dipole ready to deploy -- just waiting
                for a really heavy snowfall or ice storm so I can install them
                in sufficiently inclement weather to assure they work well.
;-)

Thanks loads for your input !