Re: [TenTec] Corsair noise blanker and frequency display

To: <Gary@ka1j.com>, "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Corsair noise blanker and frequency display
From: "A R" <raf_3@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 13:48:38 -0700
Gary,
A quick viewing of your QRZ page indicates that unless you've downgraded, you
have a Corsair II. Checking the manual schematics for both the Corsair and the
Corsair II, I find the noise blankers between the two to be two entirely
different animals, although TenTec elected to identify both versions with the
same part number (80977). ??

The Corsair 80977 noise blanker board has the noise blanking circuitry AND the
1st IF 9MHz crystal filter.

The Corsair II 80977 noise blanker board has ONLY the noise blanking circuitry.
The Corsair II's 1st IF 9MHz crystal filter is on a separate board 81253 XTAL
FILTER BOARD, that is mounted sort of side-saddle to the PBT board (where the
2nd IF crystal filters are located).

The schematic and functional  differences between the two NB boards (although
the boards carry the SAME part number), are SIGNIFICANT....and apparently, the
Corsair II's NB design actually works, unlike that of the Corsair's NB.

Mystery of differing observed NB performance/experience solved.

73,
Allen---W7GIF